Your heart is quite powerful. Over time, it can take a beating, though. The importance of regular health checkups is not lost on most people, but the issue is that most simply do not have the time. They feel something else is more important, though there is nothing more important than your heart health. By scheduling a regular checkup for your heart, you protect yourself from ailments that can have severe consequences. Depending on your health, you should schedule a quarterly, annual, or bi-annual checkup for your heart.
Heart Health Basics
Everyone – men and women – need to keep heart-healthy habits to reduce the risk of severe heart disease or other serious medical conditions. Depending on age, forming such habits may prove a challenge. You have support in your friends, family, and heart doctor, though.
Some habits you may wish to form include:
- Eating a healthier diet
- Ensuring regular exercise
- Discovering ways to cope with life’s stress
- Quitting smoking
- Scheduling an annual heart checkup with your doctor
Importance of Heart Checkups
A heart checkup is like any other routine visit to the doctor’s office. It is of the utmost importance, though. An annual screening will evaluate your heart’s well-being, diagnose any potential concerns, and provide treatment for any issues caught early enough. Treatment is typically easier when the issue is discovered sooner rather than later.
Furthermore, there are many heart diseases that simply cannot be tracked without a heart checkup, which is why it is so crucial that everyone schedules a heart screening on occasion. Many doctors, in fact, consider a screening to be as vital as exercise and eating correctly.
Typically, early detection methods vary according to age, sex, and family history. Of course, none of this information is known without a screening.
Benefits of Regular Heart Checkups
There are numerous benefits you’ll enjoy when you schedule a yearly heart checkup. For instance:
- Lower Healthcare Costs – Every single one of us fears a massive hospital bill. If you wish to cut down on your healthcare spending, schedule a regular health screening. These checkups can save you money by catching the early warning signs of heart disease, thereby allowing your doctor to treat them now.
- Stop Diseases – Speaking of early warning signs, doctors advise numerous tests to detect any increased risks of heart disease in patients. Without a screening, these tests cannot occur.
- Blood Tests – During your average checkup, blood tests may be ordered. A blood test will determine cholesterol, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, and coronary artery diseases.
- Stress-Reduction – Stress is one of the most damaging factors on the heart. When your life is chaos, stress can quickly overwhelm you. An annual checkup will monitor your stress levels. Then, your doctor can provide advice or techniques to reduce your everyday stress.
If you’re worried about your heart health, now is the time to schedule an annual appointment. Please call Brookhaven Heart at 631-654-3278 to schedule an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Patchogue, NY, New Hyde Park, NY, and Hicksville, NY. We’ll work with your schedule to ensure you receive a heart checkup sooner rather than later. Please give us a call today!